Saturday, August 9, 2008

Here's an ideal

I have always liked the idea of living off the grid, off the land, in the backwoods.... however you'd like to term it. I don't feel the need to live miles down a dirt road, out of earshot and sight of the nearest neighbor in a own compound or cocoon. But it would be nice to live sustainably, wisely.

My answer for the question often asked in high school to help determine occupational direction "what would you do if you won a million dollars?" has always been I'd build a cabin in the woods, my own two hands. I'd love to nail every nail, cut every piece of lumber, wire and plumb the house, hang the drywall.... do it all. Or what I could do...

My dream ideal would include something that combines perhaps a yurt style house like these. And I'd like it to be at least partially self sustaining (like and earthship), as well as off the grid...

Something like Les Stroud. The first minute absolutely nails it! Right there is my why....

No comments: